One thing makes the difference between a good community and a great community: leadership. Informed and committed leaders can serve as the catalyst to transform problems into innovations and to provide vision and action to carry us to our greatest potential. ARC offers a wide variety of leadership and education programs that prepare today's and tomorrow's leaders with the tools and training to meet the region's challenges.
Whether it’s an innovative initiative by a local government or an individual or a development that showcases quality growth principles, ARC wants to know. Applications are now being accepted for programs honoring innovation and leadership. Application deadlines vary.
- The CREATE Community Awards recognize local governments for their work in community building and involvement, regional prosperity and economic development, educational excellence, air quality and transportation and environmental sustainability. More information
- The Developments of Excellence Awards recognize developments in the 10-county region that exemplify the policies and practices of ARC’s Regional Development Plan. Applications are due by Sept. 1. More information.
- The Harry West Visionary Leadership Award In 2014, ARC established an award for visionary leadership in the name of Benjamin Harrison (Harry) West, ARC’s longest-serving executive director, who exemplified courageous and visionary leadership during his entire career in the public, private and university sectors. The award will be presented for the first time at ARC’s State of the Region breakfast Friday, November 7, 2014. For more information
- Leadership Involvement Networking Knowledge (LINK) LINK is a cross-sector, cross-county leadership exchange that brings together the region’s most influential leaders to learn how metropolitan areas throughout the country are addressing the same issues and challenges we face in the Atlanta region.
- Model Atlanta Regional Commission (MARC) Now in its 17th year, the award-winning Model Atlanta Regional Commission brings together some 50 teens from all 10 counties in the region for six months of study, debate and hands-on activities regarding regional issues and challenges. It gives teens an opportunity to learn more about the community in which they live while honing their leadership skills.
- Regional Leadership Institute (RLI) As the challenges and opportunities of the Atlanta region become more complex, there is an increasing need to develop regional leaders. The Regional Leadership Institute (RLI) is a comprehensive leadership program designed to better prepare a diverse group of community, government, business and nonprofit leaders to work collaboratively in addressing regional issues. RLI is designed to provide a unique learning experience for emerging and existing leaders through an intensive one-week program that trains, empowers and supports leaders so they can effect positive community change in the region.